SERVICES TEAM’S PLANNING, EQUIPMENT SPED UP INSPECTION PROCESSES WHILE MAINTAINING ACCURACY
Headquartered in Pirojshanagar, Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd. is an Industrial Products manufacturer. Godrej designs and produces parts for industries across the spectrum of the modern business world. For this project, Godrej was contracted for an overseas export project of supply of a feedwater heater, which is a large fabricated assembly. Each individual component and alignment while assembling is extremely critical to measure. Godrej needed not just support in inspecting these parts, but also a complete plan, which API India helped them with right from the raw material stage, marking the job for the CNC machine cutting operation and continuous inspection at every stage in order to make sure there was no rework or loss of time or material.
API was able to:
- Complete and deliver RACI Chart and Resource Breakdown Structure
- Ensure Accuracy at each stage of the fabrication process
- Allow for on-time deadline performance by saving more than 30 days of man hour costs
Godrej & Boyce Mfg. Co. Ltd., a Godrej Group Company, started its journey with the manufacture of high-quality locks in 1897. Today, they have 15 diverse business divisions offering consumer, office, and industrial products and services of the highest quality to every corner of India and across the globe. Godrej products can be found in every industry from Aerospace to Construction to Storage. The Godrej Group touches the lives of 750 million Indians who use at least one of their products every single day. Their commitment to quality, attention to detail, and customer centricity has helped them earn trust from companies around the globe, who contract them for some of the most difficult manufacturing and fabrication projects. And for some of those projects, Godrej needs to contract additional manpower and support.
For their work on the feedwater heater, Godrej was originally planning to measure using conventional processes only, hand tools and outsourcing some of the critical parts for fixed bed CMM inspection. But they also brought in API Services India for a consultation on the project. The Services team did a complete evaluation of the service requirement, and prepared a project charter outlining the scope, milestones, and resource requirement. Based on the huge savings and time benefit API showed with this plan, Godrej chose them to support this project.
API Services created a Responsibility assignment matrix, or RACI chart, and a Resource Breakdown Structure for the project and sent them to Godrej while they prepared for the project. The API Services team then brought Radian Pro and vProbe onsite to begin the measurement and inspection process for components that needed high accuracy measurement on hidden points with difficult lines of sight. Godrej was amazed with the technology and the accuracy and ease of use. API Services performed lots of measurements for the raw material and a complete marking of job was done followed by post machining inspection.
“Godrej was amazed with the technology and the accuracy and ease of use.”
All the critical details of the water heater were recorded time-to-time, and the data was shared with Godrej, who in turn shared it with their client in USA. Based on their approval, all the assembly steps were followed in a timely manner. By contracting API Services to use Radian Pro and vProbe, more than 30 days of man hour costs were saved, and Godrej met their deadlines. Additionally, the results of the final inspection were all well within the tolerance specified.
The Godrej team was very pleased with API Services and the timely reporting and support they received for this project. Beyond that, their customer in the USA was extremely satisfied with Godrej and is assuring them all their future projects. Godrej will be contracting API Services India for any support needed on these future projects. The unique combination of experienced professionals with reserves of high precision dimensional metrology equipment makes API Services, both globally and in India, the high value choice for companies looking to deliver on-time, accurate results at a fraction of the cost.
Keep reading more API Case Studies
- API Services Helps AMTDC Achieve Highest Accuracy on Its Industrial RobotsMSPs Robot Metrology Solution (RMS) calibrates new robots to meet desired specs Robots, once manufactured, need to be calibrated for accuracy and specific alignment per their design. This is a critical process. So, when Advanced Manufacturing Technology Development Centre (AMTDC) designed and developed two robots of six kilograms and ten kilograms, respectively, they needed to […]
- API Services: A Partnership You Can TrustMSP, C.R. Onsrud Work Together to Twice-Compensate Gantry During the Holidays In the first two parts of our Case Study Series with Flying-S (“API Services Helps Flying-S Unlock Their Machine Tool’s Full Potential” and “API Services: Who to Call to Repair a Damaged Machine Tool”), we discussed how API’s partnership with C.R. Onsrud allowed Flying-S […]
- API Services: Who to Call to Repair a Damaged Machine ToolMSP, C.R. Onsrud Repair Used Gantry for Flying-S After it Was Damaged in Transit In the first part of our Case Study Series with Flying-S (“API Services Helps Flying-S Unlock Their Machine Tool’s Full Potential”), we discussed how API’s partnership with C.R. Onsrud allowed Flying-S to unlock new applications with their gantry that dramatically expanded […]